The formation of organic gemstones is usually related to the physiological activities of various organisms in nature. For example, amber is a fossil formed by plants for protecting the wounds or sprouts from a long time. The pearls are stimulated by foreign bodies. The growing "tuberculosis", the coral is made up of the remains of the coral worm's skeleton remains over the years.
Therefore, the properties of organic gemstones also contain properties inherited from organisms. They contain organic components, hardness is not high, and acid and alkali resistance is poor. Compared with other jewelry, it needs the care of the wearer. maintenance.
Pearl, the main ingredients are calcium carbonate, protein and water. We should pay attention to when wearing, collecting and cleaning pearl jewelry:
1. Keep away from acidic substances. Many people wear pearl jewellery close to them. After they are taken down, they are placed directly in the box. After a while, the pearl gloss is not as good as before. In fact, the sweat secreted by human skin is also weakly acidic. So wipe it clean after wearing it to put it in the box.
2. Keep away from heat sources. The protein and water in the pearl are important components. The high temperature will evaporate the water, age the protein, and seriously damage the structure of the pearl. When it turns yellow, it becomes dark and the weight is completely broken. The high temperature will also dissolve or age the glue embedded in the auxiliary pearl, causing the pearl to fall off.
3. Keep away from bleaching substances and atmosphere. The beautiful color of pearls is colored by organic pigments. Bleaching substances such as 84 disinfectant, hydrogen peroxide and many daily cleansers are easily bleached and faded, especially gold pearls and black pearls.
4, clean pearl jewelry is best to use pure water or boiled cold water and neutral detergent. Dry immediately after cleaning or blow dry with cold air. Do not soak the bead chain. The residual moisture and detergent in the bead hole will corrode the rope and damage the jewelry. After each wear, wipe it with a damp and clean soft cloth.
5, swimming, sauna, hot springs are not suitable for wearing pearl jewelry, these environments not only have a bad influence on the pearl, substances containing sulfur and chlorine will also corrode the K gold part, while in the water it is easy to make the jewelry slip off.
6, perfume, cosmetics will penetrate into the structure of the pearl, polluting the pearl to make the pearl discolored.
7, the pearl hardness is not high, need to be stored separately.
8, pearl inlaid jewelry need to check the inlay firmly, the pearl bead chain needs to be replaced once every 1-2 years, the higher the wearing frequency should be shorter.
Corals are also composed of calcium carbonate, a small amount of protein and water, but their structure is different from that of pearls. Corals are easier to maintain than pearls:
1. Acidic substances will destroy calcium carbonate. Although the sweat is weakly acidic, it is the biggest enemy of coral. Sometimes the white "mold spot" on the surface of the red coral that is neglected to care for is the result of corrosion.
2, away from high temperature and bleaching substances, coral color has a great impact on its value, high temperature and bleach will destroy the organic pigment caused by fading.
3, using pure water or warm water to clean coral jewelry, household dishwashing is the most suitable neutral detergent, coral jewelry can not be soaked in water for a long time, cleaned with cold air immediately after cleaning. Coral bead chains should also not be soaked in water for cleaning.
4. After cleaning, the surface of the coral jewelry can be coated with a thin layer of transparent grease to isolate the air and harmful substances, but be careful to use only non-fragrance, non-pigmented oils, such as mineral oil, edible oil, baby emollient oil. .
5, coral hardness is not high, brittleness, in addition to the need to separate storage, must not fall and collide in wearing.
6, do not wear in swimming, sauna, hot springs.
Amber, which consists almost entirely of organic matter, is a fossil of natural resin. In wear and maintenance, attention should be paid to its sensitivity to heat and light as well as its hardness and brittleness.
1. Amber is very sensitive to temperature changes. When the temperature is 150 °C, amber begins to soften and continues to heat up and gradually decompose and deteriorate. Changes in temperature cause a change in the volume of the amber inclusions, causing cracks in the amber. The high temperature also ages the amber surface, turning into a dark brown film and surface cracks.
2. Amber is also sensitive to light, especially ultraviolet light. Ultraviolet light accelerates the aging of amber, causing the surface of the amber to become cloudy, tarnished, and micro-cracked. Therefore, amber jewelry should avoid long-term sun exposure, and the ambient light source should be as light source as possible without ultraviolet light.
3, amber is almost entirely composed of organic matter, should be carefully contacted with organic solvents, such as: nail polish, dry cleaning agents and various thinner.
4, amber hardness is not high, brittleness is very large, extrusion, bumping is easy to cause damage.
5, amber brittleness, not easy to set in the processing, often add glue to help fix, so amber jewelry can not be washed with hot water, hot water may cause glue to fall off.